Monday, January 16, 2012

A Weekend Away

I went out of town for the weekend with a girlfriend.
It wasn't just a pleasure trip but it was still very nice.
We were checking her son back in for spring semester at university.
The 3 of us drove up together for 6+ hours of non-stop gabbing!
We spent a lot of time stocking up the dorm fridge and running errands and hanging out with college kids (adorable!). We ate at many marvelous restaurants including a funky ice cream shop with fun, wacky, creative flavors like "lemon praline pinenut" and "saffron coconut" and "chicory whiskey" and "maple bacon".
It was good to get away and "play".
It was good to chat and be frivolous and not worry about anyone but myself (my friend had to worry about her son, but I didn't :)

It is hard because it creeps into my mind to worry abut Mr. M. He often escalates in drinking behavior when I am gone (a case of the while-the-cat's-away-the-mouse-will-play syndrome???). So it is a TAD hard with my controlling (fear-based) nature to leave and know that is a risk. But it was good to go and to open my terrified grasp and believe that if he is going to drink, he is going to drink. Me being here to guard him might prolong it, but it will only prolong it, not prevent it.
So I can't say that I didn't ever think about it with worry or concern, but I didn't let it stop me from going or enjoying my time. (And I didn't excessively call and check in either :)
I'll call that a bit of growth...

4 comments:

  1. (standing up applauding)

    Yaaaaay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you had a great time. It is nice to get away. And to keep the focus on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weekend sounds like it was awesome! Nothing like a good road trip for a little self re-discovery.

    I loved this: "it was good to go and to open my terrified grasp and believe that if he is going to drink, he is going to drink. Me being here to guard him might prolong it, but it will only prolong it, not prevent it."

    That statement is so wise and can be applied to so many different issues. The word "drink" can be substituted with any other undesirable action verb.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks elizabeth... you are a terrific encourager! Even with your own pain and struggles, you always have a nice word for others.

    Thanks Kristin... that feels good :)

    Syd - thank you... it WAS so nice... Ahhhhhh!

    xo

    ReplyDelete