Friday, January 20, 2012

Mr. M Goes Dirt Biking

I am angry and posting only to vent.
Mr. M left on a motorcycle riding trip today with some sober friends.
I think I may have mentioned before my torn feelings about this 2nd trip in a 30 day period for him.
On the one hand I am happy for him having sober fun doing something he loves, taking time for himself, and developing friendships with some guys with long-term sobriety.
On the other hand, I feel kind of bitter because he just took 2 months off of LIFE, drinking himself to near death in a motel etc... so I am kind of like "Now is your time to think of others and be around to help your wife and kids who need you".
But then i cycle around to wanting him to have good things and GO and then I am pissed that he is going. etc etc etc etc etc.
(This is an internal dialogue... to HIM, I only said that I had mixed emotions and briefly told him why.)

Anyhow, what I did NOT say was that I am not a big fan of dirt biking.
It is expensive - bikes are expensive and they break a lot.
It is dangerous - the guys like to ride "balls out" as they call it, and even if YOU are safe, a lot of other people drive drunk and crash into you.

So this evening, I get a call from Mr. M.
He says he has crashed and has totalled the bike he bought the day before from a friend (turns out the bike is fine, but this is what he thought at the time). He says he f**ked up his shoulder really bad. He has rocks imbedded in his elbows and knees. One buddy is staying with him, the other one is racing to go get the truck and come back. It is getting dark and they are in the middle of no where. Thank GOD the friend has a GPS and can mark the spot where Mr. M is so he can actually FIND him when he returns with the truck!

The friend come back to get him eventually - after about 1.5 hours of Mr. M laying in the dirt in the dark in the freezing cold.
They take him to the hospital.
he has a broken right arm and a thrashed left shoulder (torn tendons and ligaments, it looks like). His back (he had spine surgery last january) is spasming and goodness knows WHAT injuries are there!

This man has no life insurance and no disability insurance. He is jeopardizing our family again - for sport! (I have forgiven him much when he is in his addiction but to do this in addition feels inexcusable to me right now.)
Now he has a bunch of new medical bills (we have a $6k deductible and then percentages up to $10k).
He is injured terribly - both arms - so he will not be able to work.
Is he going to expect the KIDS (Hacker & Wifey) to nurse him and take care of him?
Am I expected to? I don't want to or intend to, but I feel badly dumping that on Hacker & Wifey (although that is THEIR choice - they can be responsible for themselves and I can be responsible for me).
The kids heard the news and got quite scared and upset (Drummer most of all, poor guy).

Please let me say for the record that I was kind and compassionate to Mr. M on the phone. I said all the right things. I was just not FEELING compassionate. Later in the evening when he called from ER and wanted to talk about the bills and how fast he was going etc., I DID say I was angry and later that I was not paying the bills.
Girlie overheard this (my fault - we were in the car) and seemed mad at me.
I told her I had been nice all evening and was just expressing a little of my frustration.
She said "It is none of my business" and did not talk to me any more tonight.
I THINK she is in shock over and over again by the fear of losing her dad. He has NO IDEA what he does to her, jeopardizing himself like this.

I am not like crazy angry.
I am numb.
I am tired.
I am running on empty.
I have NO margin for this emotionally.
I do not feel compassion... I only want to leave him.
I do not have the emotional wherewithal to deal with his self-centeredness.
Don't know how long he I can do this...

(PS - Don't even get me STARTED on his pain and needing pain killers and my fear of that spinning him down the road of addiction... I don't even want to OPEN that can of worms!!!!!)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, man! Can it get worse? I really do feel for you and the responsibility you are left to shoulder. Again.
    I didn't mention in my last post how much I felt people's disappointment in me when I walked away from my Mum.
    She was very good at eliciting sympathy, telling anyone that would listen what a selfish daughter she had. No-one asked for my version of events.
    Those that did, did so with a voyeuristic interest. When I explained to them what was required for my mother to give up alcohol, they couldn't deliver.
    I am so sorry that your children are being manipulated emotionally by someone they have come to expect love from.
    Will they also go on to love alcoholics?
    I just wish . . . wish, wish, wish this away from you.
    Whether you stay or go, it will be a hard and lonely road and because you say you are very reliant on others opinions it will be even harder to make a decision that is solely for your benefit. Believe it or not you are allowed to make decisions with yourself as the sole beneficiary and you will eventually function with less confusion and guilt.
    Karen C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs
    I'm curious - I think I read Mr M does the steps . When he gets to the moral inventory and the amends bit then does he make any attempt to discuss his responsibilities to you and what he's goingvto do to make it up to you or us that not how it works in Aa? .
    You seem to shoulder the burden alone which defeats the point of a partner :-(

    Just nix the comment if you think it's too personal x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen- I think it is harder with a mother than a spouse. You only get one chance with a Mom.
    And she is supposed to care for you and protect you when you are young and dependent and innocent. People without an addict in their lives have a REALLY tough time understanding what we go through. That's why this stuff (community, blogs, meetings, support groups, therapy, friends, God) is so valuable! Thanks for your loving words!

    Ms Kay - Not too personal at all... IO love the question, it makes me think... and I would be interested in your input.
    He does his amends "for himself" (it is a selfish program). He admits his wrongs so HE is free. He names some things he did wrong and asks if there is anything he can do? I don't even know how to answer that; "Um... yeah... you could not drink any more and stop the madness".
    He would say that what he is doing to make it up to me is going to meetings and working the steps and going to counseling so that he can stay sober and be the man I need and deserve. *sigh*
    And YES!!!! -- your simple sentences said SO much "You seem to shoulder the burden alone which defeats the point of a partner"... after 23 years I am just TRULY starting to realize this. *sigh again*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to have to agree with what Ms. Kay said about shouldering the burden alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about what Mr. M has done to himself. You have every right to be angry and scared. Mr. Sticks broke his neck surfing when we were first married and what you wrote about how you are feeling is very familiar!

    I think the only thing you can do at this point is set up a boundary that you can live with regarding the whole situation. I see many potential drama triangles emerging such as who is taking care of him, who should take are of him, who is mad at him, who feels sorry for him. Maybe get your plan and your boundary set up in your mind now so you can take care of you and avoid getting sucked in. And what ever you decide, it's your decision and you don't have to defend it. Sending prayers and hugs!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you have a boundary of having him assume the financial burden. I hope that things will be better. Take care of yourself. Your husband will heal and perhaps have learned something from this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww that's rough.

    I suppose when he does that step work where he says what he's done wrong and ask if there's anything he can do then maybe the answer isn't not drink again ( although that would be good ) and more like what he can do is make you feel safe and supported and less like the only responsible adult about the place . And figure out how to do that without you having to tell him .
    I'm guessing That's all tall order though x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you. As a mom, I latched onto the effect on your children. It's easy to say you shouldn't bare this burden he has continued to cause, but we do. I can't tell you what to do, but I feel your ANGER of his continued chaos he causes! He may not have picked up a drink, but he doesn't appear to be really working the steps. Instead, trying to fill the void of alcohol with other dangerous behavior, and continuing to act selfishly when it comes to you and your children. YOU need to be healthy! I can't express how much going to Al-Anon helps ground me and teaches me to focus on myself. Not selfishly, but healthily. Go to a meeting! Talk to your Al-Anon friends if you have any! Blog your heart out! I am thinking of you in this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... thanks guys!!! Checking in and reading your comments is as good as therapy!!

    Elizabeth - thanks for the prayers and hugs! (Need 'em!) And wow! I can't *believe* he broke his NECK!! You would think people would live differently after nearly losing their lives, wouldn't you?

    Syd - thank you... I am unsure sometimes, so I value input. And yes, I PRAY he learns something...

    Ms. Kay - I am going to try that... I can at least ask and be specific...

    Lissalin - my friend and taking care of myself and writing are definitely my mental health! I used to do al-anon and sometimes think of going back...

    ReplyDelete