Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"An Exact Replica Of A Figment Of My Imagination"

Maybe I shouldn't be reading this book right now.
Maybe it is "courting" sadness.
Maybe I should be slapping a smile on my face and focusing on the positive.
But that is what I have done my whole life - package away grief and be a "good girl" and not make others uncomfortable.
Suck it up and solider on.

So I am reading it.
And I am BAWLING (ugly faced, mascara running bawling).
And I am laughing.
At things like the "dwarves of grief" which I excerpted here.

It is a woundingly lovely memoir of grief and loss.
It is like an anthem to grief.
A tribute to loss.
I am filled with love for this sweet woman who lost her full term son, Pudding and her willingness to bring us in to her heart and world and share him and her grief with us. It is so intimate... so generous. I love her honesty and I love HER for laying herself bare. I cannot BELIEVE she GOES there. That she remembers this (hasn't blocked it out, is willing to expose it) and will recreate it on the page. Then the fact that she can do it so deftly and lyrically and doesn't use language to distance and protect but to invite and draw in. I am in awe of her writing and her spirit. It is humbling because I am so aware of how out of my grasp this feels - for so many reasons.

But can I just say that if you have ever LOST someone or grieved or suffered, her story (Elizabeth's and Edward's story) will resonate with you. It is so HONORING and tender toward loss and suffering.

I will leave you with one small excerpt from page 132:
"Of course you can't out-travel sadness. You will find it has smuggled itself along in your suitcase. It coats the camera lens, it flavors the local cuisine. In that different sunlight, it stands out, awkward, yours, honking in the brash vowels of your native tongue in otherwise quiet restaurants. You may even feel proud of its stubbornness as it follows you up the bell towers and monuments, as it pants in your ear while you take in the view. I travel not to get away from my troubles but to see how they look in front of famous buildings or on deserted beaches. I take them for walks. Sometimes I get them drunk. Back at home, we generally understand each other better."

I am not trying to make too much of my sadness or to compare it to hers - or yours - but I AM grief stricken over Mr. M's relapse. I feel like 23 years of grief and loss that I have been stuffing are throbbingly present right now, welling up and overflowing after YEARS of being denied. I am facing the LOSS that has accompanied Mr. M's repeated binges and disappearances and thefts and absences and job losses and abandonments (of me and the kids), not to mention the terror of if he would live and how I would be able to provide all by myself. This time as I stop denying and honestly look at my loss and pain, I have come face to face with the fact that I don't know if I have it in me to do this again. I am heartbroken and tired and grief-stricken. I might end up having to get a divorce. This will be a death of sorts - the death of a marriage and of a dream and of the future I THOUGHT I would have. (I KNOW I will have a wonderful future with new dreams, but this one will have died.) If I don't get a divorce, I have to face the fact that in 5 or 10 years (or in 10 minutes), it is highly likely Mr. M will relapse again and I will be blogging these EXACT same thoughts and shock and betrayal and abandonment all over again. Only this time, I will be 47 or 52.

I feel GUILTY and "BAD" writing this because I feel like in Recovery you are "supposed to" think positive and practice acceptance. But although it may not SOUND like it, this grief I am allowing myself to feel IS acceptance. I am accepting myself - warts and all. I am accepting the reality of my past 23 years. I am accepting that if I stay with Mr. M, my future will likely (not certainly) include relapse. And as sad as it feels, it feels kind of good - as I have mentioned - honest.

I am afraid if I am morbid and sappy and negative, YOU might not like me. But then I think SHEESH!!!!!!!! What is the freaking POINT of this blog if I have to be a people pleaser here too?!?!?! For goodness sake, this is my blog and no one has to read it if they don't like the way my mind works or don't like me. I do MORE than enough people pleasing and tap dancing in my off-line life to last a few lifetimes. So HERE... here on my blog, I will run the risk of not being YOUR definition of 'healthy' or wise or loving or accepting or positive or "in recovery" or "Christian" or whatever.

This is MY issue, no one else's... but I started realizing I wanted to edit what I wrote to be more uplifting and inspirational, humorous and insightful - whatever. Then I thought "THAT is not true" to where I am right now. It is not true to me and therefore it is unkind to me. So if someone were to visit and read my blog and not like it or me then I need to LEARN to tolerate my discomfort with that. If that is you, it is OK. You are allowed to not like me or my writing or my emotional place. I am not super emotionally ok with that. But I am not OK with Mr. M's drinking... and JUST like with his drinking, I am POWERLESS over you & your opinions and my life is unmanageable when I fret about it and try to control and manage your opinion of me. So I will ask God to grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (you visiting or not visiting my blog, liking or disliking my blog, liking or disliking ME), the courage to change the things I can (Me and only me) and the WISDOM to know the difference.

14 comments:

  1. I like the honesty of your blogs. I can relate to your problem and also to 'covering it up with a smile.' Keep being honest in your blogs. Your words are my words,too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your honesty here. Filing for divorce doesn't mean that it has to happen. Perhaps a legal separation will get his attention. But you have to do what feels right for you. There are no guarantees with alcoholism. It is truly one day at a time. If my wife drinks today, then I would ask her to leave. I would also call her AA sponsor and other friends in AA who would help her. That's all I can do for her. What I can do for myself is call my sponsor, get to meetings, and pray a lot. Alcoholism takes no prisioners, unless you want to be one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether he drinks or doesn't drink, there is no guarantee that his behavior will change. Putting down the bottle is not what changes a person. It's a necessary first step, but there is so much more. Your salvation will lie in how you proceed forward, regardless of his recovery. It sounds to me like you already have the strength to manage on your own. Now you need to be happy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me,it sounds like after 23 years, you have found YOUR voice. You are facing reality head on and not sugar coating it. With the relapse, your frustration must be through the roof! Beautifully,Boldly and Honestly written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh... thanks!!! A balm to my soul to long in and have some loving, wise words from people who GET it!

    Thanks Nora - I appreciate you!

    Syd - THIS is brilliant "Alcoholism takes no prisoners, unless you want to be one"!!!!!

    Kristin - I agree with you. The weird thing with Mr. M is that when he puts down the bottle, he usually starts going to meetins and working a program and calling his sponsor and doing the steps and DOES change (now he is in counseling too - for the first time ever), so in my mind, I kinda DO mix them up:
    "putting down bottle=changed behavior", but you are right, they are NOT co-equal.

    Carey - Thank you for understanding!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're in the "depression" or just plain old sadness, stage, you ARE one step away from acceptance.

    I appreciate your honesty and your ability to bare your soul on your blog. If you had some happy, smiley, lesson of the day blog, I wouldn't be here because I would think you were full of it and probably needed a little humility. I think you are beautiful just the way you are and I learn from each and every one of your posts! You've got a fan over here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodnes we only have to live our lives one day at a time...

    I'm glad you visited my blog, which brought me to yours. I will pray for you and for Mr. M. I know this is messy, complicated and that there are no "feel-good" simple solutions. But, I also know that you can (and will) go through this difficulty and come out on the other side eventually to find a happier life.

    Just know that you're not alone, you're not unloved and you're being prayed for!

    Good for you, getting all this stuff out in writing. I firmly believe that this is all a part of the process of dealing with alcoholism.

    God Bless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Carey. Beautiful, bold and honest. That could be your mantra. Look in the mirror (mascara running and all) and say it to your face over and over. Beautiful, bold and honest, beautiful bold and honest, beautiful bold and honest. Think about what being bold means, and being honest. And know you are beautiful. Hold your head high and whatever you choose to do I'll be cheering you along. Take care xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It takes the strongest courage to be completely honest. Your honesty will only set you free. Thank you for your showing that being inspirational is being truthful! It seems like only three short/long years ago I got to this point you are at. I filed for legal separation through advice from a wise counselor. Through the next year the only thing we literally ever discussed was our 2 children. It was the BEST decision I EVER made! I will pray for you and whatever decisions you make will be the BEST you ever made!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank God for honesty. I have been reading your blog (and Syd's) for a while now and it has given me some insight as to why my father tolerated my mother's drinking.
    I had been in touch with Al-ateen many years previously but the most significant help came from a very in-touch Pastor who had taken the time to study and understand addiction. It was he who explained, from a Christian perspective, how my physical and emotional support was enabling her. You see, I seriously believed my mother would give up drinking when she realised how much her family needed her through various crises and stresses and finally our fathers death. But instead she used them as a 'poor me' excuse to drink more.
    Then I realised rock bottom is all they understand and it is only because of our own empathy that this is unthinkable.
    Syd says maybe a legal separation will 'get his attention'. Unfortunately, I don't have Syd's optimism. I think they will do whatever they need to do to keep their 'enabler' close and until they learn to hate the after-effects of alcohol more than love the effects, only then will they change.
    From a Christian point of view, I see a marriage as 'two become one' but the two of you are no longer one. Your husband checked out long ago and is treating your marriage as nothing more than 'friends with benefits'.
    A separation will just give him hope and he needs to learn he is hope-less to understand his condition.
    I am sorry about my bluntness, I have no reason to want to hurt you, but you wanted honesty.
    Karen C

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny thing, reading this makes me love you even more. Unless we can be honest and open as human beings in this existence, we will continue to live life on someone else's terms. I read this and wish I could feel those emotions you feel, because I'm most guilty of sweeping under the rug and "pretending" that everything is okay. Keep being honest and don't worry about what "we" think. You can't know what we think anymore than you can control what we think! Liberating for you, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen - I appreciate your honesty and I have been coming to terms with this more and more... having to be honest about how very much we are not "one". We have been legally separated before. My separating (whether legal or not) scares him sober for a time (6 years, 3 years, 2 years etc.) but when the going gets tough, he can't stay sober.

    Brown Eyed Girl - I can't remember... did you end up divorcing? How has that been? (I will go read your blog more to see what you've said about it.)

    Elizabeth - Darn it!!! I was gonna start trying to write a happy smiley lesson of the day blog... ph well, back to the drawing board! :)

    Mrs. D - I'm gonna work on it "Beautiful, bold and honest. Beautiful, bold and honest."

    ScottF - you said it: "one day at a time"... thank GOODNESS!

    Lissalin - thanks... i was a much much much different person before I started therapy 4 years ago. It has been a SLOW journey of learning to feel (and that my feelings won't kill me)... and sometimes I feel I am overdoing it (haha!)... but I am learning to live honestly.

    xo all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read a lot of recovery blogs but I just found yours. While I can relate to many,our stories are eerily similar. I am sitting here with a gaping mouth and am awe struck at the similarities with exactly where we are at in this "journey" and the drinking habits of our husbands. Thanks for your honesty and putting yourself out there. It's nice to feel a little less alone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dawn - I am sorry you are having to live through what I am. You never want someone else to have to go through pain... and yet, it is nice to know others "get" what you are going through and you aren't AS crazy as you feel (still crazy, just not AS crazy -= haha!) Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment!
    xo

    ReplyDelete