Friday, December 30, 2011

Projection and Parenthood

Sheesh!!! I really should watch out what I watch on TV.
My friends told me I should avoid this season of NBC's "Parenthood". I had DVR'd all of them but not watched any yet (it is like chocolate... I am waiting and savoring it).
But as soon as I am told I shouldn't watch it, my slightly rebellious nature wants to watch it even more (#WhyIWillBeInTherapyForManyMoreYears).

I am crying my way through each episode... the teen mom wanting to give up her baby. (I was a teen mom.) Adam and Kristina with their brand new baby, heartsick teen, and Aspergers son and her feeling like she is doing it all alone because he is starting a new business. (I have parented alone.)
But I am particularly enmeshed with the Sara Braverman storyline.
Single mom Sara and her 2 troubled kids Amber and Drew move in with Grandma & Grandpa. Dad/ Ex husband (Seth) is a drunk band member who has been unreliable and abandoning and left Sara and the kids to have to fend for themselves (sound familiar loved ones of alcoholics???).
Sara finally begins to make a life for herself. She writes and play that gets great reviews, she is dating a darling and devoted (and much younger) teacher, her kids are kind of finding their way. And OF COURSE Seth shows up wasted and destructive. She convinces him to go to rehab and BORROWS money from her lawyer sister Julia to pay for it! (Further jeopardizing well-being and relationships to save the alcoholic.) Her dad is LIVID - she is throwing good money after bad and getting herself into debt and exposing her kids to false hope. She is alienating the great guy she is dating because she is so committed to helping Seth (although it seems she is legitimately not attracted to him, she DOES still care about him).
I know it is just fiction, but it is bringing up feelings in me... I feel mad and sad for her and for her kids. I empathize with her desire to TRY to "save" her kids' dad. I am so MAD at Seth. I am heartbroken for the kids.
Projection much???

Maybe my friends were right and it was a bad choice to watch it... stupid pridefulness...

5 comments:

  1. 'exposing her kids to false hope' it always reminds of the starving kids in Africa and the mother stoking a fire, stirring a cooking pot filled with stones, rocking her hungry child to sleep, saying "dinner isn't ready yet, I'll wake you when it's cooked..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, Bwendo's comment cut to the core...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack! Kristin, you are right! Bwendo, your comment painted a haunting picture.
    Made me sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this post??? I MUST watch that show. I'll have to order the season and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Bwendo's comment is very powerful!

    ReplyDelete