Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Annual Birthday Saga

We made it through Christmas. It was fine.
The next day was my birthday but also Drummer & Sweetie's engagement day.
I kinda had a vision of sleeping in, but it wasn't to be... Drummer was up at the butt-crack of dawn singing away practicing the song he had written for the proposal. I was slightly annoyed for a couple minutes then got over myself and went and helped him decide where to hide the ring so she wouldn't see it.
He took off to plan and set up so he could pick her up at 9AM for their picnic.

Mr M went to a morning meeting and came over. The 2 of us went to an outdoor mall (it is 77 degrees and GLORIOUS here right now!) and had lunch and dessert then we went to shop and exchange and return.
It was crowded and chaotic.
We went to exchange stuff he had gotten me at a high-end exercise store. This was a real splurge for his to get for me... 2 pairs of exercise pants. (They typically run $100 a piece so it was a big deal.) Come to find out one pair he got me was "final sale" (for $60). I don't love them... they are not super flattering on me and for that kind of money, I should ADORE them and look like a GODDESS in them. But Mr. M - not being a shopper - didn't know that final sale meant... um... FINAL sale. He thought you could still at least exchange.
I was crestfallen.
Now he has thrown away $60.
And I got nothing.
I was super sad and also a little irritated.
He went straight to SHAME and self-absorption. It was all about him.
He couldn't be present for me at all... he couldn't hug me and say "That is such a bummer" or "that sucks" or anything.
He got mad at me for being sad. He growled loudly at me in the store. (I want to say he 'yelled' at me, but it wasn't really a yell, it was truly more of a growl.)
I am extremely emotionally fragile right now because of all that is going on; he is only 1 month sober, he is not living at home it is the holidays, we just had that big fight with him being unwilling to go to a morning meeting, it is my birthday and I am wanting a little gentleness and care. I didn't have it in me to have him attack me in public.
I left the store and booked it to the car.
Mr. M followed and we left.
We drove in silence to the beachside city where we were meeting the kids for my birthday bike ride.
We sat in the car in silence for almost the full 90 minutes until the kids arrived. We kind of pseudo made up right before they came. I will circle back around to the fight, but all 4 kids and wives, fiancees, and girlfriends came (except poor Girlie who is heartbroken she doesn't have a boy friend :(
It was absolutely GORGEOUS weather and we had a lovely ride.

Then we hightailed it down to my folks' house where we celebrated the engagement (Sweetie said "yes") with a little dessert party of about 35 people. Drummer and Sweetie gathered everyone around and told the story of how he did the surprise proposal... it was sweet and funny. Sweetie's dad gave a toast (non-alcoholic) and said a prayer (he is a pastor). It was a very nice evening. We stayed and cleaned up. It had been a LONG and full few days and I was wiped out.

But here is the thing,
EVERY SINGLE 'SPECIAL' DAY of mine, Mr. M ruins.
Birthday, Mother's Day, Anniversary, Valentine's.
He is a pretty nice and generous guy most of the time but on any day that might kind of be devoted to me, he is HORRIBLE and mean and LOOKING for a fight.
He says it is me. He says that I ruin every holiday of mine by having unrealistic expectations.
I have to look at that and ask myself if that is maybe right. And perhaps it is.
But I SWEAR he is meaner and ruder and more shame based than EVER. I feel like he is sure I have expectations that are unmeetable... that he is doomed to fail and comes in already ashamed and upset and almost creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I don't THINK I have unrealistic expectation. I mean heck, I am married to a freakin' alcoholic... how high do you think my expectations are???
I have 2 main "expectations" on my special days:
* A lot of times I like to do something with my whole family, if possible.
* I like Mr. to be NICE to me.
Yes, I like to go do something; a movie, a meal, shopping, bike riding...whatever... I am not picky about that... but whatever it is, please be NICE to me. But he just can't seem to do it.
So again, like always, another supposedly special day of mine was spent fighting and heartbroken. (This year I had already accepted that my birthday was about the engagement, not about me. I was DELIGHTED to get to do the birthday bike ride byt the beach and that ALL my kids would be there!!! But I still thought I could reasonably expect Mr. M to be nice to me.)
I believe it was Albert Einstein who said the definition of Insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
I think I need to make a different plan for my special days and NOT spend them with Mr. M. That makes me sad. I WANT to be with him and have a great day, but that is insanity. It is Lucy pulling away the football from Charlie Brown and him CONTINUING to give her another chance and another chance... yes, at first, shame on her... but at want point does it become "shame on him"? At what point does this become "shame on me"?

2 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this post. Mine is awful whenever we go out to dinner. I used to look forward to going out and having some adult time with mine, but he ruined them all so now I'm starting to realize I shouldn't even suggest it. You're right, when is it "shame on me?" Great post.

    I'm sorry he put a damper on your birthday but I'm glad you enjoyed your bike ride and the engagement gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks elizabeth.
    Our previous marriage counselor suggested we BOTH write out a DETAILED & specific list of our 'expectations' (hope, desires) for a special day or any time when we are realizing we have them. Mr M. SAYS he really wants to meet them but he feels like he has to do all this 'mind reading'. I think because of the chaos of the holidays and our emotional fragility with his recent relapse and being out of the home, an 'expectation list' just got lost in the shuffle. So we will try again next time OR maybe I WILL so something with a girlfriend instead :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete