Tuesday, November 29, 2011

History Lesson

This go around, I have definitely felt a lot more "done". I feel tired and am finally beginning to truly SEE just how alone Mr. M has left me (and the kids) for so many years off and on for the last 23 1/2 years.
We were married for 3 years before he started using.
I was new and naive and in denial (plus hus drug use was sporadic at first then slowly built to CRAZY) so it took me 3 years to "catch" him.
He was in and out of rehabs and our home and relapses for FOUR YEARS. (At one point, he lived 3 hours away for 6 months... I would drive up with the kids and visit him there, staying in Motel 6). I - along with 4 kids - had to get on welfare and food stamps. I HAD Girlie on government funded Medi-Cal.

He got sober in a 12 step program when Girlie was 2 (early 1996).

He relapsed again but I didn't know it for quite a while. Yes, there were signs and symptoms, but again, denial, naivete, stupidity, wishful thinking, all stopped me from truly seeing what I was seeing (from adding up 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1=8).

I think he actually had between 6-7 years sober then started back slowly, secretly, controlled for quite a while... then it started to escalate. I "caught" him sometime around 7/06.

He was in & out of places and out of the house for most of the next 2 years. He got sober in spring of 2008.
He had to get a year sober before I allowed him home (it was closer to 11 months).
So in 2009, he moved back in. We got about 2 1/2 years with him before he relapsed... but honestly, he started using pain killers for his back in November 2010 (from 11/10-2/11) and I believe started on the downward spiral toward relapse then. So we really got about 18 good months with him.
Wow! This puts it in perspective.
This has been a long, hard road.
And lest I forget and think I wasn't this done with my alcoholic marriage last time, it was a good reminder to go back a read this and this.
*sigh*

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your beautiful and honest posts. Thank you also for your kind comments on my own "mess" of a blog. I began this as a way to deal with the obsessive crazy thoughts, but as I read your blog, and others, I see that maybe we all have something to offer to help one another. Love & good thoughts to you!

    ReplyDelete