Friday, November 25, 2011

The cycle continues

True to form, Mr. M is indeed drinking again.
He was more functional (and for longer) than I thought he had the capacity to be.
Since he is not living at home, I couldn't see him or smell him, so I just had to go on what he was saying. He was saying he was just depressed and sick. To the people he was living with he didn't seem drunk... so they went with it too. I THOUGHT it seemed 'drunk' to me but again, didn't trust myself fully... i WANTED it to not be true so I went with fantasy over reality in my brain. So again, I was shocked and sad to find out he was drinking (not really shocked, but still shocked - does that make sense at all?).

I have been HYPER aware of the lies I have been telling myself for years:
* I don't want to be alone - I AM alone and have been for 23 years.
* When he is sober is is such a great guy - Really??? Is this how a great guy treats his wife and children?
* We've had such good times over the years - always waiting for the other shoe to drop and the very real risk that he will relapse and do this to me (us) again.
* But this could finally be the time he actually gets & stays sober! - Yes, and it could also NOT be. And if it is, at what point will I ever be able to relax and trust him and "lean into" his care?

I have also been HYPER aware of the patterns I have created in my kids that they are now old enough that I can see them manifested.
They feel sorry for him (I taught them: "Poor dad, he is so sick")
They want to baby & coddle him (I taught them: "He can't do it himself... he needs help")
They want to enable him (I taught them: "Dad can't work by himself today... does anyone want to work with him to earn a little extra money?")
They expect ME, not him to hold the marriage together (I taught them: "I am not going anywhere... marriage is forever... you can count on me!") Since dad is not capable of things, I led them to believe that they could realistically expect ME to always hold it all together and never give up. And now that I am getting tired... nearing the end of my rope... I am feeling a lot of anger directed to me.
Hacker saw how sick his dad was, how sad, lonely, scared, depressed and said to me about him "I just feel so bad for the poor guy!". I totally get that and have spent 23 years feeling sorry for the "poor guy" myself, and apparently teaching my kids to feel sorry for him. Hacker thought I was kind of mean and cold when I pointed out that this wasn't "happening" to the 'poor guy'... the poor guy CHOSE this and continues to choose it! How "poor" is he when all the sickness, sadness, loneliness, and depression are results of HIS actions and choices?

This is not a "blame me" post... it is just an honesty post. Yes, I have tried hard and been loyal and hung in here and stuck with it... I did the best I could with what I had. But there have been some very sick & and dysfunctional behaviors (most of which stem me having a low sense of my own lack of value and worth - this is all I thought I deserved and could hope to expect). Now the kids are a new generation of "adult children of alcoholics" that I helped create. I PRAY they do not have to go through this all the hard way and can get help and heal and get whole before choosing to repeat the patterns themselves in their own relationships.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry he has returned to his old ways. You definitely have to save yourself right now. Detached, independent, content. Easier said than done, but do that and you kids will want what YOU have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sometimes hard to come to the realization that we have created a situation inadvertently. I remember when my teen-age daughter was acting out and rebelling. We started going to a therapist and after a few months, he asked me what kind of adult did I want my daughter to be -- what had I instilled in her brain. My response was I wanted her to be independent, strong, decisive and free-thinking. The therapist responded with -- well, that's what you have created. It just didn't happen on your timetable. How could I argue with logic like that?!?! Fortunately, she outgrew here rebellion.

    You've been writing about this for much longer than I have. I've just discovered this blog and like reading other points of view. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks elizabeth... i am TRYING to remember "Detached, independent, content".

    Linda - thanks for stopping by. I am enjoying reading through your informative and interesting blog! Yikes though... it gives be a big SLAP in the face of reality! Do I want to be in your shoes, nursing an end-stage alcoholic who outlives all expectations??? That makes me want to CRY.
    I just don't have it in me...

    ReplyDelete