Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Distant Land Part 3

I finished the book The Distant Land of My Father by Bo Caldwell.

SPOILER ALERT:
Anna's mother dies of leukemia.
Years later, Anna's dad dies of a heart attack.

I can't even remember WHAT exactly got to me, but I actually started to cry so hard I had to put the book down.
Obviously, I was not crying about the book or the story, but about myself and my own hurts and pain.
I made ugly crying faces and little gurgling crying noises and cried and cried.
I cried about my life and my parents and my alcoholic husband and my kids and myself.
I cried about how I don't let myself be comforted and I don't let myself cry.
I cried about the dilemma of facing all your hurts with your parents but still liking & loving them and wanting to be in relationship with them and is that OK?  Am I "allowed" to do that? Am I "allowed" to want that?
I cried about Hacker who is working so hard at his new job and is actually doing difficult and scary things (cold call sales) that I am too terrified to do... and while I am PROUD as punch, I am also freaked out because it makes me uncomfortable when he calls people  that I feel too uncomfortable calling.
I cried because Anna (the book's protagonist) allowed her horrible, selfish, abandoning father to hug her and comfort her after her mother's death.  She allowed herself to receive comfort, even though it would be imperfect.  She allowed it to be enough for that moment.  She needed it and she accepted it.
I cried and cried.
I felt sad.
I felt true.
I felt a little scared & out of control.
I felt a little hopeful.
I got a headache and a stuffed up nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment