Friday, January 2, 2009

Guilty

I have not been posting for a long time.
I have just started to realize how much this is SOOOOO part of MY sickness as the wife of an alcoholic.
When he is doing bad, I am doing bad.
I start a secret, anonymous blog to pour out my heart and my angst and my fears and my devastation.  It is my journal that my kids can't stumble upon hidden in a drawer or under the bed.  My friends can't find it and gasp at my fantasies or unbalanced thoughts.  My qualifier (Mr. M) can't find it and know how I fantasize about my life without him.  It feels real and true.  I don't have to censor myself because I don't have to have a facade because no one knows who I am.  No persona.  No mask.  Just me.  Feels good.  Feels true.  Feels maybe even a little bit healthy.
Then Mr. M gets sober.
I let him start coming around.  
I hug him.  I let him start hugging me.
I let him have sleepovers.
We go to amusement parks and the beach and even *gasp* vacation.
I start a new family blog with pictures of all the new happiness and beauty we are creating.
I am living in a fantasy land, sucking all this up... lapping it up... rolling around and wrapping myself in it.
I SO want it to be real.
I SO want it to last.
I am SO afraid because I KNOW how temporary it can always be.

I am blessed to be able to give my kids a few more months or years with their Dad and not give up.  They are all blossoming.
But if I let myself THINK about it, I am afraid it is nothing but a house of cards.

My desire to be in denial and just enfold myself in this 10 month period of sobriety - where Mr. M is not perfect, but he is present and available and loving and strong - is all-encompassing.  I think that's why this journal is lying dormant. 
 If I come to it and log in with my secret email address and my secret name & password, then I am remembering and looking at the reality of what my life was (is) just 10 short months ago and I am forced to see how - with the sip of a drink - it would be right back there.

Would I regret this delicious period of denial?  
I can't answer that yet.
And I don't want to go back and read any old posts to see.
I DO know that I am still in therapy and progressing slowly (snail's pace, in my mind), but I DO see and feel changes... but I am not very brave... I am slow and hesitant and scared.  I want to be braver.  I want to trust more and love fully and not live to protect myself from real or imagined pain.

If temporary, my time of bliss is still real.  My kids' happiness is real.  But this... this alcoholic marriage is still real too and I need to not forget it.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your time with him and your family as it comes. You've made it this far, further than many women would have made it. Try and wake up and live your life with an open heart. You can do it. You've been through so much that if another lapse came about, you could slowly let it roll off your back and be pro-active about getting Mr. M sober again. Your blog has always shown me the tenacity some people have, and it's what I strive to be like. Though I don't have an alcoholic marriage, you just give me relationship lessons, life lessons, in the struggle a relationship can have. Keep on trucking, Mrs. Anon.

    You can do it.

    love,
    (not a stalker, just an anon. subscriber of your blog)
    Mandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandie.
    I appreciate your encouragement and support.
    I LOVE your input about the "open heart"... I am going to TRY to keep practicing that.
    HARD!!!

    I wish I could be "pro-active" about "getting Mr. M sober"... but one thing I am learning is how much I can't do ANYTHING about getting him sober (dang it!)... all I can do is be pro-active about keeping MY side of the street clean (so to speak) and get MYSELF healthy. And as I do that, he may very well be on board and come along for the ride. or he may not. Over that I have no control (again, DANG IT!!!)

    Keep commenting.
    I love to hear your perspective!
    xo

    ReplyDelete