Friday, June 13, 2008

My Drinking

I had not had a drink of alcohol for 20 years.
20 years!!!
Why?
I had made some bad choices (alcohol related) as a teen.
I got "sober" in 1987, and the rest is history.
My alcoholic husband continued to drink while I did not.
Perhaps I felt noble.  Perhaps I thought i was modeling for him.
On some level I did not know if I was an alcoholic or not, but I was scared of what might happen if I started drinking again.
Last summer I had a margarita.
Since then I have started drinking.
I drink.
I like drinking.
I think about drinking.
I want to drink.
I am concerned that a bit of an obsession is starting.
I don't WANT to have an obsession.
I want to drink like "normal" people.
But I honestly don't know if I can.
Tonight I had a bit too much wine at dinner... I am not that picky about my alcohol... I prefer beer, but wine was available with italian food... so I drank it.
I was a little buzzed.
I didn't want to drive my child home buzzed, so we went to Target for a while and shopped.
45 minutes, $80, and a bit more sober later, I drove home.
I am still a bit lit.
I had too much.
I like(d) it.
I look forward to my next drink.

When did I drink this week?
Let's see...
Friday night, 2 glasses of wine.
Tuesday night, amusement park, 2 beers.
Wednesday lunch, 1 glass pinot grigio.
Friday night, 2 glasses chianti.
Uh-oh.
That's a fair amount of drinking in one week.

And I think of my next drink.
I like the way I feel.

I will probably have to NOT drink... but I don't want to.
*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment