Thursday, June 12, 2008

Client Lunch


Yesterday I has lunch with a client. He is a business owner... educated and affluent, adequately attractive. He has 2 grown kids, a plane, a home in a prestigious ski area... oh, and did I mention; a wife.
But they seem to be having their share of issues and you can see that he is maybe looking around his life at the "beyond halfway" point and thinking
THIS is what I lived for???
We set up lunch because I had actually randomly run into him in a parking lot. We had talked for a while and agreed to set up lunch. When he left, he had leaned into the car window and kissed me... I turned my head and instead of catching me on the lips, he got cheek. A little strange and awkward. So yes, that was definitely hanging in the air a little when we met for lunch.

Because we have a professional relationship but are kind of "friends", lunch is fairly informal... we had a glass of white wine (pinot grigio) and just chatted.
At one point though, he asked me about kissing women friends on the lips and said that the other day he had noticed that I had distinctly turned away from receiving his kiss on the lips!!! That was FUNNY that he noticed and that he brought it up!!! FUNNY! I acted like I hadn't noticed. (So clearly he had felt that it was uncomfortable and borderline inappropriate and was making sure that I didn't think anything or have any weird issue with it).

[Side note: After the kissing incident, I was a little shaken up. I realized that I am really NOT an affair haver. It was also confirmed for me that I could not really be attracted to someone who would cheat on his wife. I was also a little intrigued and flattered to feel desired. But then when he "un-did" it with this conversation - and then proceeded to act COMPLETELY appropriate - I was a little embarrassed and hurt. Did this mean that I misinterpreted and he WASN'T making any kind of overture? I had prayed on the way to lunch that the Lord would resolve this and help me to reign myself in and to want what God wants... but why does He always have to do this by making the other person not want ME??? Can't he just make ME not vulnerable to them???]

Anyhow, to address his lip-kissing question, I ended up asking him if he kissed his kids on the lips. he said "no".
"Do you kiss your Mom on the lips?"
"No".
"Well then, if you won't kiss some of your most important people in the WORLD on the lips, it probably isn't appropriate to kiss other women on the lips"
And that was how we ended it.
Utterly appropriate.
Utterly friendly.
Utterly nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment