Friday, June 8, 2012

Season of Grief

I've been feeling down lately.
I am sure it is largely in part to what I have been dealing with in therapy and all the feelings around that, but there is just a LOT of pain coming up.
Bub is graduating and preparing to go across the country to college and this is sad and painful for me (even though it is wonderful and exciting - I am just going to miss him AND it is the grieving for the end of a season).
Hacker recently told me that he & wifey are looking at moving to the South for him to work on a Masters.
Drummer is engaged and will be married in December and move out.  He is a DELIGHT, but a tad hard to have at home, so this is AWESOME, but it is still a transition and i love him and love having him here and will miss him too.
Girlie has been struggling with anxiety and depression.  She wants to homeschool (heaven help us!).  She says she doesn't want to get married or have kids.  She doesn't want to go to college or pursue her dreams because she knows she won't achieve them.  It is SO sad and I don't know how to help her.

Mr M and I have not been doing super well.  We just have SO much baggage and pain and hurt and our past together is so big - and the knowledge that the future could very well hold more of the same is so ever-present - I don't know if we can recover and not keep punishing each other.
I am not proud of my behavior, but the other day, in our fight, I literally got down on my knees and clasped my hands in front of me and BEGGED that we consider calling it quits.
I feel paralyzed and trapped.  "Can't live with him/can't live without him."  We are not happy and we are hurting each other.  Yet there are benefits to staying together: finances, having a partner in some activities, having someone who knows how to fix stuff and is sometimes available to share the work & kid load, having someone to hug, having a person to have sex with, having someone who will drive you to the hospital at 3AM, having someone to zip that pesky zipper or (gross!) pop a back zit (not that i EVER have those - haha!).  I don't WANT to be single.  I only ever wanted to be married.  If we divorce, there is no guarantee anyone will ever love me again... I have to be ok being alone.  I would have to share the kids on holidays.  I don't want the KIDS to have to go through that either for holidays or at their graduations and weddings and baby births.  And don't even get me started if Mr M finds a new wife to hold and love and do life with while I am alone.  GAWD, I would DIE!

I get down on myself and ask "Am I just having an extended pity party?"... but I am trying to be kind to me... I am grieving - on so many levels.  I am just plain old sad.  And after 24 years (yes, we just had our 24th anniversary last month) of love and loss and ups and downs, I am tried and broken-hearted and paralyzed - not wanting to end it but not wanting to go on like this for ANOTHER 24 years...

3 comments:

  1. I thought that we could not get it together either or make it because of past history, but love my wife now more than ever. Forgiveness and letting go of resentments is powerful. I remember my shortcomings and how I wasn't such a prince during the years when she was drinking. That helps me to be humble and have great empathy for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember that if you have everything you need for yourself to make it through TODAY, then you don't need to make any long term decisions today. And the same goes for tomorrow. Since you are uncertain about what to do, the best thing to do is to wait for more information. And until that information comes, you don't need to worry yourself about a decision.

    Sounds like you have a lot of things checked off in the "pro's" column. That would anyone hesitant about making a change, especially when the grass doesn't necessarily appear to be greener on the other side...

    Maybe, with all of the other changes going on in your house, it would just be easier on you to put off deciding about Mr. M until things level off with everything else.

    Sending big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Syd and Elizabeth... 2 voices of sanity and reason in the wilderness!!!
    It is good to get a little breath of fresh air from "outside".
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete