Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Therapy Day 10.21.08

Dr. has been seeing me for just $25 a session (a DEEP discount from his usual $150). I am grateful for this. I needed it when I first started seeing him! Now, things have gotten less scary financially... I have some cushion (for today)... I can afford to pay more. Therapy is valuable for me. I have just started paying $65 an hour to have hair electrocuted off my chin so I don't become a bearded lady!
If I can pay $65 to have needles stuck individually into each hair follicle and have electrical current shot into them to kill hair for my vanity, then surely, I can come up with $65 to pay for an hour with Dr. for my mental health! I am going to cut down on my electrocution appointments and start paying Dr. $65.

I feel good about paying more... and although I don't know that I could EVER justify $150 an hour in my budget, I don't want Dr. to think that I don't think he is worth that much. I told him I felt guilty because of this. He told me he didn't need me to validate him because he knows what he's worth.

This gave me pause.
I don't know if my feelings were hurt because he didn't need that from me (and what good am I if someone doesn't need that from me?).
Or was I sad because I do not know my worth and that was such a stark contrast?

Things to think about.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you contact me. I have going through the history of this blog and will be giving the url to my christian 12 step group. I have lots of questions and common experience. As to the Dr.'s comments, it was him having a teaching moment with you , :-) me thinks. But as a christian........well, i will just say for me :-) I have God given worth. I am worth so much because the God of the universe chose to make it so. My worth is so great the God of the universe died for me. A worth placed on me , I am worth unconditional love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have God give worth! What worth can any human give me( validate) that is greater/better then this? Not a one! And I can't make someone else worth more either. However, nothing wrong with telling someone the truth so that they might choose to recognize it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy.

    I SO value your words of wisdom. And yes, Dr. was indeed "teaching" me.
    And its sad (or curious or strange or interesting) because although I KNOW what you and Dr. are saying it true, it can't seem to penetrate the self-protective barrier I have built (see my most recent post "Therapy Day 1.06.09").
    I have a journey ahead to get my head knowledge into my heart. Because I KNOW that I have worth in God's eyes... but deep down inside, if I am utterly honest and truthful with myself and with you, I must not TRULY believe that.

    Keep reading and posting and we can grow together.
    xo

    ReplyDelete