Monday, October 6, 2008

Foreclosed


Yesterday Mr. M and I went over to our friends' home to help them pack and to hug them as they sobbed.  
The sheriff had appeared last Thursday to serve them with an eviction notice.
Sad and devastating under ANY circumstances... the heartbreaking twist here is that Wifey knew and had been hiding it for MONTHS (and helped create it).  Hubby was completely in the dark... shocked and flabbergasted!  
I was packing in the garage.  I walked over to Hubby's workbench.  My eyes filled with tears.  This was not the workbench of someone who knew he would be moving and was preparing to move.  It was the workbench of someone who thought he would be there for a long time.   They have a LOT more to work on than just losing their house (and all their equity - a lifetime of work and savings, lost at 40 years old).

I do not want ANYONE to be as miserable as I have been in my alcoholic marriage... I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  But wow, do people suddenly have more understanding, mercy, grace, and gratefulness!  (And where did the pity and maybe even tiny bit of judgement or "we are better than you" look in their eyes go?)   People suddenly realize what kind of love, support, and help we could have used in OUR tough time when we show up to help them in theirs.

Mr. M found himself teary and emotional all day.
He was sad for our friends.
He was also sad for us.
He saw the devastation the lying and betrayal can bring.
He had never seen his friend cry... and he wasn't just crying, he was sobbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment