Sunday, October 19, 2008

Meals for the Broken-Hearted

When Mr. M went off the deep end this last go 'round, some nice "church ladies" brought my family meals.
Thoughtful.
And a good idea since I couldn't bring myself to make anything at all... I personally lived on cigarettes & diet coke (don't tell Pastor :o) and didn't see why my kids should need to eat over and over again... "Didn't I just feed you yesterday?"
And Vegetables?
My poor kids didn't see one for MONTHS at a time... our best shot was a small salad at El Pollo Loco.
But I am betting on the fact that when I get to heaven, God will assuage my guilt and let me know that Ketchup is indeed a vegetable.

Like the meals you get when you have a baby or when you have surgery, alcoholic husband meals tend to be lasagna or other "red" italian meals or "cream of" soup casseroles.  Don't get me wrong, I am a grateful recipient... but a little variety wouldn't hurt, would it?

A friend of mine makes this dish... and brought it as a "losing your home" meal to one of our foreclosure friends and they RAVED about it... I wish she would've brought it to me as a "sorry your hubby is drinking again" meal.  
Hmmm... Maybe next time.



Monterey Chicken

Chicken
6 thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4oz can of diced green chilies
8oz pkg of shredded monterey jack cheese
1/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
1 envelope of " orginal" Shake n' Bake
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 TBS butter, melted

Tomato sauce - 
Cook all ingredients in a small sauce pan until boils and is slightly thickened.
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
1/3 c. onions, diced
1/2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
hot pepper sauce (optional), I use 2-3 drops

Combine Shake n' Bake crumbs, parm. cheese, chili pwdr., cumin, salt, and pepper. 
Dip chicken in melted butter then roll in crumb mixture. Place in a baking dish. Layer diced green chilies and then monterey jack cheese on top of each chicken breast. Drizzle any remaining butter around the edges of the chicken. Bake at 400 for 25-40 minutes- depending on how thick your chicken breasts are. Serve with tomato sauce (some like sour cream and limes too.) I like to pair these types of meals with a salad, refried beans, and tortilla chips. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment