Saturday, March 24, 2012

Surviving

Mr. M had his surgery. It was out patient.
MD said it was one of the worst rotator cuff tears he has seen in his career and he does 6-7 of these surgeries a week! It was torn completely from the front all the way up over the top and down the back.
So he was in AGONY.
The first night was brutal!!!!!
We barely slept.
We got the pain med situation handled where it took the edge off and he could at least KIND OF get by.
He rested for the week and started back to work Monday.
He shouldn't work but needs to.
He has a helper helping him every day because he can't DO anything... he needs to point and direct and have them DO all the work.
He is scared and sad because business is so slow.
It is going to be tough money-wise paying someone else and having so few calls, but it is kind of an HP thing in my opinion because he SHOULDN'T be doing too much work in his condition! (And his condition should last a few MONTHS!)

The MD said they had also wanted to tack down his bicep tendon but his bones were SUCH poor quality they couldn't. They said the only time they see bones like that is in 80 year old women!!! OI asked if that was from the injury or degeneration and the MD said "neither"... he said it was from substance abuse. I did a little further reading and apparently excessive binge drinking IS bad for the bones.
This was shocking and sad to me.
Of course Mr. M is in denial. he thinks the docs are wrong/mistaken.
*sigh*

I have been a loving and compassionate wife.
We have been getting along well.
I am lonely and scared, but this is just going to be a season for that. He is hurt and scared and sad and just trying to recover. It is not a season to get my needs met (but REALLY, when is?).
We got out last night and had Mexican for dinner (well, I did) and saw "21 Jump Street" (inappropriate but funny!!!!).
One day at a time.

5 comments:

  1. It sucks that his injury is so serious and his bones are not good. Is there anyway to reverse the bone situation?

    I do love this post, however. I'm really getting into the whole HP intervention thing. Considering all that goes "wrong" in life in terms of HP telling us to take it easy or change courses is pretty cool and makes it less frustrating (some of the time, anyway!).

    And the part about "seasons." I will try to think of periods in my life that are hard as seasons instead of me being totally screwed on something! Thanks for the great messages!

    Sending prayers for you and your family during this recovery time!

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post. I can relate to a lot of what you go through with your alcoholic husband. The "seasons" are so true! My world would revolve around my husband's seasons, 95% of the time it was summer, hot, and dry.

    I'm thankful I am working on taking that power back to create my own season's to live by. It does make me sad that our seasons hardly ever sync, but like you said One Day at a Time and handing it over to my HP.

    Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rough on both of you to have to go through this. I had no idea about the bones but alcohol is a poison so it makes sense. I hope that things will be less lonely for you. To everything there is a season....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been thinking about you, knowing that your blogging down time is a clue that things are sort of OK - but some of us still worry about you.
    No platitudes but, well . . .yeah.
    Sending love
    Karen C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your husband heals quickly and I hope that you take care of yourself.

    I'm new to my blog. I'm still kind of new to marriage. And mostly I'm brand new to the world of alcoholism and being married to an alcoholic.

    So thank you for writing! It means alot to know I'm not alone!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete