Thursday, February 9, 2012

Meeting My Little Girl

I have gotten hypnotized a few times recently... trying to get in touch with stuff locked in my subconscious that I am too heavily defended to allow myself to get in touch with.
Now, I am a skeptic but I thought I would TRY something "out of the box" and different. I was skeptical about acupuncture and it has been one of the BEST pain relievers EVER. I was skeptical about kinesiology and likewise, it has been miraculous when my back pain flares up. So I have learned to at least give things the benefit of the doubt.

I don't FEEL hypnotized when I am under... and yet the FEELINGS and the physical reaction to the feelings are so different and so intense... I KNOW I am clearly tapping into SOMETHING. It has really been the only time in my entire life when I have seen my "little girl". I have always read or been told about the 'inner child' work and have never been able to see my little girl or to relate to her if I could picture the face of that little girl I have seen in old photos... I CERTAINLY do not relate to her as ME. But for the first time I did. I saw her and I knew her and I cared about her and I KNEW it was me. I could lovingly caress her little head and tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

This week, the hypnotherapist (not my normal Dr.) had me go back to a time when I first felt I didn't have value or worth. I couldn't do it. She had me mentally go down a hallway and picture doors with my ages on them and go into the door with the age on it when I first felt those feelings. I walked down the hallway in my mind and somehow knew it was age 3. My little girl could not go in. I tensed up. My chest tightened. I couldn't breathe. SO WEIRD! I couldn't go in. (When the therapist told me that I am a grown up now and nothing behind that door can hurt me now, I started CRYING! - I have no idea what I am afraid of but man, does it feel powerful!) She asked if grown-up me could come alongside little girls me and if we could go together. That was better but when grown up me said we could go in together and that I would protect Little Girl, I discovered little girl me did not trust grown up me. This makes sense because I have not been very gentle, acknowledging, or protecting of the little girl at all. I have tried to ignore and disown her my whole life. No wonder she isn't ready to rush into believing I am trustworthy!

Eventually, she took my hand and walked me deeper into the room. It was like the woods with tall trees and sun dappled shade. I thought I saw a rabbit hutch maybe? Art supplies? (My conscious mind remembered my mom telling me she had dropped me and my brother off at a baby sitter when we were little and I think I recalled there were maybe woods involved? - Am I just thinking of things I have been told and trying to fill in the blanks???) So I can't go any further or see anything of value, BUT there were tons of feelings involved... again, tight chest, shallow breathing, rigid body. I did NOT want to go.

So the therapist had me take my little girls to my 'safe place' (caribbean beach!). We laid there together and I asked her if she couldn't SHOW me, could she tell me. She said "bad man". And grown up me instantly thought "no... that's ridiculous... that's just what I THINK I should be saying or remembering" (Again - am I just thinking of things and trying to fill in the blanks?). Well, you can imagine, Little Girl didn't feel to heard or protected so she clammed right up. Of COURSE she did! I had promised to protect her and take care of her but I didn't. The first chance I was give, I didn't listen to her and discounted her. I stopped and tried again. "There is a bad man? What did he do?" She didn't tell me but I tried. Baby steps. I ended with just being nice to her and trying to show her that I can be a safe place for her and that I WILL protect her.

This week I am supposed to get a picture of her and put it in a locket and wear it all the time to remind me that she is always with me and I need to protect her. I would also like to try to be mindful of being nice to her and extra gentle with her this week and we'll see if next time I get hypnotized she will trust me more! Its a tough thing because I don't really want to face and feel whatever is lurking hidden... and yet I do... and I feel like I am ready... well at least more ready than I have ever been. Scared but excited and hopeful (and yes, still skeptical.)

7 comments:

  1. You know, I am so burned out on the little lost child inside stuff....but this post had a powerful effect on me. The thought of me loving me as a little girl is really something that I have not put much thought into in many many years.

    I hope you find the answers that you are looking for and that peace and serenity and self love will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, wow, WOW...(fanning myself). This is the most amazing post, Tearless. I really admire you for going through this process and having the courage to dig deeper. I will say a prayer for you that when you uncover who the man is, that you and your Little Girl will have the grace to handle this. I'll bet you will because you're such a survivor.

    Little Guy goes to see a LCSW who works with autistic children and adults as well as typicals, but she does hypnosis. I am interested in trying this, but apprehensive at the same time.

    Thank you for this.

    You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of doing this same thing, but I'm so skeptical and scared about what I might find out! You're so brave for digging in! I will pray you find the peace you are looking for. You may have inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls!
    I honestly don't know if I could've done this 4 years ago... 4 years of therapy have given me the strength and courage to be willing to "go there"... but even with that, you can see by my reaction (physically and emotionally) that there is still some major resistance.
    This week, I am definitely going to try to just be mindful of being kind to my true self (whatever part of me that is - grown up or child).
    "What do I really need?"
    "Is this being kind to ME?"
    "Is this a loving gesture to myself?"
    "Am I letting this person harm me?"
    I ate too much yesterday and I was AWARE (for the first time ever) that this was an unloving gesture to myself... why would I stuff/over-feed my little girl? Was THAT really a loving way to treat her? Wow! So interesting because I usually act like I believe that giving myself a "treat" or eating more & more of something yummy is "self love"... SUCH a journey we are on, right???
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The protecting of the child within is something that I did not understand when I was in therapy. I could not really relate and thought that it was silly. But since being in Al-Anon, I realize more and more that the child within was really a tough little kid--resilient and responsible. Now I'm learning to be a child which apparently I did not know how to be in toto. It is okay for me not to be so serious. Imagine that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really interested what's transpired with the hypnosis and little girl you since you posted this. I don't think I've seen a post about it dated since.

    I'm skeptical of it too. and scared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. UPDATE -
    There was no further revelation yet related to this "little girl" work. Maybe I just wasn't ready yet or couldn't handle it or maybe that is all I need to know... for now or forever?
    I have started wearing the locket the hypnotherapist recommended in which there are photos of me at 3 and 12.
    I can tell you that since this work, I am DEFINITELY kinder to myself. When I have anxiety or grief (or any feelings) I treat myself more like those feelings are being felt by "little me". I am kind and gentle and patient. I do a lot less of the "You shouldn't feel that" or "That is dumb, why are thinking feeling that" etc. My thoughts are kinder and more: "Oh! You are very scared... That is scary for you." I am not even having to MAKE myself think kinder, I just FELL kinder and more loving and more patient.

    If anything else evolves, I will definitely report back!
    xo

    ReplyDelete