Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Holidays in the M Home

Holidays in the M Home often bring out the worst in Mr M's and my relationship.
I think I have expectations of success.
I think Mr. M has expectations of failure.
The two clash - Almost. Every.Time.

I want to not fight and get along and enjoy each other and celebrate.
I think Mr. M thinks that I have much grander expectations of the BESTHOLIDAYEVER and, feeling sure he will not live up, GIVES up early and completely.
I also think he is a tad lazy when it comes to family and events and holidays... like they should just "happen" with no work or planning. (He is SOOOO the opposite of lazy when it comes to cleaning and work. He is the Energizer Bunny with OCD!) But when it comes to the "woman's domain" of family, he is lazy.
He wants to wake up and SEE what he feels like doing. No grocery shopping having been done. No campsite having been reserved. No adult kids' schedules having been booked. (He would like to just in military fashion bellow "cancel all your plans. I have decided what I want to do now, at 11:30AM as I have just woken up and joined the land of the living.")
Meanwhile - having consulted him - I have planned a menu and shopped and calendared the kids and contacted friends and RSVP's and he MIGHT choose to wake up - whenever he darn well pleases - and pull the plug on that and say "I'm not in the mood to go to the party you RSVP's to last week, even though you asked me and I said ok".
*sigh*
Our friends R&S just called to see if we were still on for this evening (the 4th of July) because they KNOW Mr. M and his ways.
To the best of my knowledge, the answer is still "yes", although it is only 10:30AM here, so who is to say what he will feel like when he wakes up.
I have recently just started telling him that I will go in my own car and he can join or not. Which is ok a lot of the time, but NOT when you are trying to do things with another couple.

More and more in my marriage, I am realizing that I am married to an adolescent.
Experts agree that when alcoholics start drinking, they stop maturing and freeze at that age until they get sober for a period of time (not dry, but actually sober, in recovery).
Mr. M started partying hard at 15.
During our 24 year marriage, I would say he has been TRULY sober (not building up to, in, or recovering from relapse) - cumulatively - maybe 10 years.
So does that make him 25ish?

He just confessed that he had injected testosterone daily a few years ago - when he was supposedly sober. He made this unilateral decision. He didn't consult with me, discuss, partner in any way. He wanted to do what he wanted to do. He did not want to hear another opinion and have to possibly honor it. He did not want to run the risk of "getting in trouble". This is how our kids acted when they were older teens and how Drummer still acts sometimes. He is 21.

I am feeling sad and super super tired.
I don't want to keep being married to someone who wants to do things alone, his way.
I want to go to a 4th of July party with friends and laugh and socialize with my adult husband there taking care of himself and enjoying himself. (Instead, he either won't come or he will be there brooding and/or punishing me.)
I don't want to be single.
But I also kind of don't want to be married to him any more... but is that better than being alone?

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I could have written this post myself! I can so relate!

    P.s. it's "you know who." thank you for your comment on my final blog post. Come visit me at my "new pad."

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your blog lady, I feel like you are in my head!!! LOL I can relate to just about every word. Thank you for sharing... it's always a relief to know we are not alone.

    That dance you described, happens on all levels at my home too, holidays and mundane days. All of our friends and family members know the routine. Majority of the time, it's just me that shows up. Which more and more, I'm actually enjoying. Example, I drive out to California to visit with some good friends of mine every year. Two years ago certain circumstances happened and I ended up going by myself. It was the BEST TRIP I've ever taken! With practice, I'm learning to do the best I can with what I have to work with... I always have a plan B, C, and D if A doesn't pan out. :0) I usually will share with my family and friends those additional plans. Amazing enough, I'm learning that whatever happens is what was suppose to happen.

    It saddens me that my active alcoholic husband has not found help or recovery of any kind. I will continue to pray for him and others that they find the help they need.

    Sorry for the rant! Thanks again for your experience, strength and hope. I appreciate you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me -- I don't know how to find your new pad... I tried... did I miss something? (Entirely possible - haha!)

    Simply Me - It wasn't a "rant"... it is good stuff! I love to find camaraderie with others sharing so many of the same parts of our journey. Like you said, it is a RELIEF to know we are not alone!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oopsie. I fixed my profile. The link should work now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oopsie. I fixed my profile. The link should work now.

    ReplyDelete